Founded in 1824, Trace Creek is the oldest missionary Baptist church in Graves County, Kentucky, and the Jackson Purchase. The church’s lineage can be traced to Baptists in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. The church was organized with nine charter members on October 2, 1824, in the home of Joshua Shelton.
The church, which met in homes initially, has had nine houses of worship, of which the first three were constructed of logs. The sixth (1891), seventh (1937), and eighth (1974) buildings were erected on the Trace Creek Church Road near Mayfield. In 1992, the church took a step of faith and voted to relocate to the current location to accommodate the growth of the church and in anticipation of what the Lord was yet to do through the obedience of this body of believers. The present building was completed two years later. The Trace Creek family and friends demonstrated their unity and celebrated the church’s 170th anniversary on October 2, 1994, by walking 1.5 miles from the church’s previous site to the present location on Highway 131.
Trace Creek has had 50 pastors. The current pastor, Bro. Ronnie Stinson, has served the church since 1972. The second longest pastorate has been by the church’s first pastor, Bro. Absolom Copeland, from 1825 until his death in 1839.
Trace Creek has been instrumental in helping constitute other churches over the years, including Mayfield First (1844), Liberty (1845), Clark’s River (1867), Sand Hill (1889), New Life (1985), Chief Cornerstone (2009) and Yahweh (2012).